Re: [Harp-L] klezmer on chromatic harp

Short answer: Any standard chromatic in the key of C will work to play songs
in the harmonic minor tuning. "A chromatic (will) play the harmonic minor
scales just as well regular C" with the exceptions listed below.

Long answer: Depends on how much money you can spend -- buying more than one
harp.

The Harmonic Minor Tuning differs from the commonplace Major Diatonic Tuning
in the key of C by using an Eb and an Ab instead of the respective E and A.
Check out the Lee Oskar web site for a layout of the Harmonic Minor Tuning for
comparison to make this more clear.

On a chromatic, it's merely a matter of "converting" the flats into sharps --
because (unless you blow bend--not that hard) when you press in the lever, it
RAISES the pitch a half step.

Eb is the same note (enharmonic) as D#   and Ab is the same as G#.

Sharps "go up" and flats "go down."   On the piano keyboard, press the G
note. If you go Up (right) or higher in pitch to the black key, that black key is
G#. But if you START on the A note and go down (left) the same black is an Ab.
In a tall apartment building, one man's floor is another man's ceiling.

If you know what keys you are going to be using, you can get chromatics in
say the key of A or D -- they come in a bunch of keys. If you do that you only
have to worry where the 3rd note of the scale (E on a C harp) and the 6th note
(A on a C harp) falls in the harmonica layout.

This means, you will need to press the button each time to play the D note to
raise it half a step to Eb/D# and the same with G for a G#/Ab.

If you switch harps, your "flatted note/sharped note" always occurs in the
same spot on the chromatic harmonica.

If you insist on playing a C chromatic, each time you switch keys, the
blow-draw pattern changes for that key plus you have the added excitement of keeping
track of where those flatted/sharped notes fall.

Some purists insist that everything is playable on a C chromatic. This is
true. But some keys are more difficult than others. Not because the keys are
inherently difficult (all keys have the same note relationship). But some keys
require the constant use of the lever to play them on a C chromatic while an A
chromatic would require the button for the 3rd note of the scale and   6th note.

NOTE: the chromatic is not any more difficult to play than holes 4-7 on a
Richter tuned 10-hole diatonic.

In short:
1. Play a C chromatic -- it will work..
2. Get chromatics in the keys you will play in -- several brands offer
variety of pricing.
3. If you are dedicated to klezmer playing, simply order a Seydel chromatic
factory tuned in the Harmonica Minor key(s) you play to use. (I have Seydel C7
and G7 harps.) These factory-custom tuned harps will cost a few bucks more
than a standard chromatic but it will be worth it in the amount of time you will
save.
4. Buy Lee Oskar Harmonica Minor in keys you need.
5. Order Harmonic Minor in keys you need from Seydel -- or anybody else.
6. Pay somebody to re-tune your C chromatic into Harmonic Minor.

Disregard No. 3 if you read music, because that skill takes a lot of the
hassle   out of this project.

But it might be a feasible option if all you want to do is play music right
now instead of worrying about what appears to many as convoluted music theory.

FYI: if you want to understand music theory, take some piano/keyboard
lessons. In a year you may understand more than you ever thought you could about
music -- and without any of the pain.

Hope this helps.
Phil Lloyd