Re: [Harp-L] TODAY'S LESSON

Michael wrote

"5.) hands down IMO what seperates Kim Wilson from all of these and most all players (known and unknown) is the deepness of his swing.

Today's lesson for me was: tone is big but time is much bigger. I feel that one could play "worng" notes with "thin" tone but in perfect meter with a deep groove and sound better than the converse."

That's what I'm talking 'bout Micheal!
It don't mean a thing if it aint got that swing-

Its not just little Walter's tone that every body talks about but the SWING- both his and the band. You can play Juke or Off the Wall with folks but if they don't know how to swing it, it isn't the same.

A couple of nights ago our PBS station ran a film of an
Ella Fitzgerald show from 1957. Talk about swing!
She blew me away, like it was the first time I ever heard
her sing. I know we harp players mine all kinds of other music for riffs, this was incredibly rich with ideas. I'm
going to revisit this for sure!

Speaking of swinging-  that's why I love William Clarkes
stuff-  and how about Dennis G!

Dan