[Harp-L] weight of harps (was: Original Hohner Pro Harp)

John Potts wrote:

"As between the painted covers of the Suzuki Hammonds and the unpainted PLATED shiny covers of the Suzuki Promasters, American web sites show the same weight specs for each of these harps, which is not correct. Some European sites give a different weight spec for each which i believe is more accurate. Hammond= 85 grams Promaster=90 grams. Since the only design difference besides color is the covers, it is reasonably apparent that the painted, unplated brass covers of the Hammond are 5 grams lighter than the unpainted chrome plated brass covers of the Promaster."

Since I don't have any Hammonds myself (nor many Promasters) I asked Pat Missin who I know has a few to weigh some for me. Here are his figures:

PM machined comb - 89.2g
PM machined comb - 90.0g
PM cast comb 91.1g
PM valved, machined comb - 89.0g
PM valved, machined comb - 88.8g
Hammond - 88.6g
Hammond - 89.3g

It is worth noting that the ProMaster (and possibly the Hammond as well) has come in two variaties: one with a machined aluminum comb and one with a cast aluminum comb. He only had one cast comb to weigh, unfortunately. It would seem to me that the differences above are more along the lines of standard variance between any two examples rather than a large variance between different models. Ie, each Promaster is as likely to vary in weight from another PM as it is from a Hammond.

Further, I asked him to weigh some covers. He weighed one set of Hammond and one set of PM covers, these are the results:

PM upper cover - 10.6g
PM lower cover - 10.6g
Hammond upper cover - 10.7g
Hammond lower cover - 10.2g

While this is not a particularly large sampling, it seems likely that the same holds true for the covers as the overall harp weights--ie, any two Hammond covers will vary as much as they will vary with any two PM covers.

()() JR "Bulldogge" Ross () () `----'