RE: [Harp-L] TODAY'S LESSON

Larry Eisenberg posts: > Check out each guy's approach - Mark slams it home from the get go, unknown > guy does the typical too many notes throughout, Charlie is slippery and makes > it sound easy, going for unusual lines, Kim starts from scratch and slowly > builds intensity to a fever pitch.> > > In a message dated 1/25/2009 8:12:46 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, > pfmoore439@xxxxxxx writes:> > Watch this all the way through without breathing.> > > > Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYNt3U8g0fY
>unknown guy does the typical too many notes throughoutOkay, a few observations:
1.) unkown guy was "Stewart James on harp" per youtube info - obviously a local guy Mark Hummel included in the show, this was probably the thrill of a lifetime being up there with those guys. -hey I believe he even counted off the tune!
2.) he played a lot of notes on his 3rd chorus ONLY, but it was an actual idea and his right to do so. TOO MANY is very subjective (and who does set the note limit?). Charlie was also (seemingly unknowingly) stepping on/overpowering him volume-wise with his sparse supportive backgrounds.
3.) the rest of his solo was IMO very good from a creative standpoint. Hell, he quoted Basie's One O Clock Jump, big points in the taste book right there for this reporter. He just seemed to not lock with the time as well as the others.
4.) what is slippery? and how would one obtain that quality?
5.) hands down IMO what seperates Kim Wilson from all of these and most all players (known and unknown) is the deepness of his swing.

Today's lesson for me was: tone is big but time is much bigger. I feel that one could play "worng" notes with "thin" tone but in perfect meter with a deep groove and sound better than the converse.

Michael Peloquin http://www.harpsax.com http://www.myspace.com/peloquinharpsax