Re: [Harp-L] Ghost Notes and Equal Temperament

Phil,

A tongue split interval ("split interval") is any interval that is a double stop played by putting your tongue on the harp and blowing/ drawing non adjacent holes on either side of the tongue, with the tongue blocking the notes in between. You are playing 2 non adjacent notes/holes simultaneously which are "split" by the notes/holes in between them that are being blocked by the tongue. Octaves or octave stops are one type of split interval.

On a Richter tuned diatonic harmonica in any key, playing clean split interval double stops will generate difference tones (what i and some others have been calling "ghost notes"). These are notes that are heard, but are not actually being played. This phenomenon is most powerful and noticeable playing octave stops, but can be produced by playing ANY split interval double stop on ANY Richter tuned diatonic harp in ANY key. Of course, some sound better and more interesting than others, so you have to fool around with it to see which sound good on what material.

I happen to think that the most limiting aspect of playing a diatonic harmonica is not the lack of a full 12 tone scale, but, rather the inability to build chords. The primitive chords available on the instrument do not fit with a very wide variety of material. But i have found that the chords generated by the combination of notes played as split intervals and the ghost notes that particular split interval will produce almost always fit better on a wider variety of material than the chords actually available on the harmonica. I'm not real technical about it, and most of the time i don't know precisely what i am doing. But, i've been doing it for a long time and it works. For the last 4 or 5 years I have been doing it on almost every tune each time i perform as a matter of routine.

Sounds best through a PA style mic with a wide frequency response (like a 545, SM 57 or 58, Audix Fireball, EV re 10 or 15, etc.) Doesn't always sound good through a bullet mic.

i hope this is understandable.

JP