[Harp-L] chuck@fatbottom-mics.com

Good to see other people having the same positive experience with Chuck Gurney @ fatbottom. It ain't often you lay out your hard earned guida for goods/services and actually get back much more than you expected, faster than you expected! Interesting discussion lately on style, technique and equipment. Anyone who's played anything for any length of time, at some point starts talking about upgradeing something only to have somebody hit 'em with "all the equipment in the world ain't gonna make ya play no better". O.K., I get it, practice more, work harder, play better--valid point. I've had a forty+ year addiction to harp, particularly amplified harp. Over recent years I've done a harp specific tube upgrade and speaker upgrade to my amp plus purchased a new delay pedal, all of which got me closer to that sound that kept me playing all those years. When I got my mic back from Chuck, which, for full disclosure, is my first custom mic, I heard it immediately. First time I've REALL!
 Y had the feeling of the mic being part of the instrument, (which, yes indicates it too must be played). I've known (and worked at) grip, but the difference between a good tight cup, loose cup or open grip with this mic is much more pronounced than with any mic I've played or the three bullets and one stick I own. Same with changes in breath cavity size and shape-it was there before-but not like this! Most pleasant surprise is the way this thing cuts thru the mix even when played softly, which has led me to play much softer, generaly, which, in turn, greatly emphasizes the dynamics when I do blow harder. Also, this has led me to play more subtle, "emphasis" phrases between guitars, rather tha try to fill too many gaps ("just shut up sometimes, already!) So, can equipment make you better? This mic did it for me---one catch--the thing sounds so darn good, and I'm having so much fun with it--yeah, I'm practicing alot more, still can't get by that thing! If you're out there Chu!
 ck, thanks again, friend! Rick