[Harp-L] Rick Davis : Sonny Terry

Well, since I was there in his face for two years, I think I have a better
handle on it than anyone guessing. Sonny was a purely lip pursing player,
however in his early years with Blind Boy Fuller you have hear him doing some
intensely fast chording, which could have even been TB and fluttering. But as he
progressed it was purely lips, and all diaphram vibrato. Sonny's harps were
worn  to the very back of the Golden Melody, very large mouth cavity , big
lips, and  strong lungs. He never really took him mouth off the harp when doing
runs. He  could pull it away, do a Whoop, then hit the exact note he wanted.
This is what  I teach in my seminars, the basics of his breathing and signature
phrases. Much  yes, being done by playing the first 3 notes of the harp, but
the key is to play  the 2 and 3 blow so that if you do it right, it slides
across so fast that  number one you get rid of your inward air, and two, it sounds
just like the  rhythm you were percussively playing. In playing his Hootin the
Blues, this is  key to being able to play it and then alter the pattern with
all ya ya - ya ya  ya ya ya ya fi di dum, all ins, a change you can make at
any time during  the pattern. Initially with BBF he was extremely nasal, and
always did hit notes  nasally , just not as shrill as in his early days.
Hope that answers you Rick.
**************Inauguration '09: Get complete coverage from the nation's
capital.(http://www.aol.com?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000027)