To: "John F. Potts" <hvyj@xxxxxxx>
Cc: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2009 8:21 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] Re: 4th position

Thanks, John. I am trying to learn more about why people use the positions I rarely use. Pointing to a specific Dylan tune is very enlightening. I use 1st, 2nd, 5th and 10th regularly (mostly 2nd), but very little else. As a result of this discussion, I practiced for an hour in 3rd this evening. Perhaps I will try to meet 4th for a while next week.

Anyone else got any other positions I should try? And no cheap-shot sex jokes!

Best,

-LM

John F. Potts wrote:
I don't use 4th much myself, but when i do, i use the upper register (starting on draw 6). No bends necessary. Not a good blues position, but Dylan recorded "All Along the Watchtower" in 4th and i think it sounds best in 4th. So i use 4th when I play that particular tune. FWIW.

JP