[Harp-L] Playing Harmonica at Bluegrass Jams

I agree with many of the recent posts that it is important knowing when not to play. I just returned from a 2-day bluegrass jam in Bakersfield, sponsored by the California Bluegrass Association. I was the only harmonica player out of the 150 or so musicians. As a harmonica player who has attended dozens of such bluegrass jams (and hosts a bluegrass jam at a local coffee house), here are a few observations:

1. Despite a few famous harmonica players who have played bluegrass, the harmonica is not generally considered a traditional bluegrass instrument. One of the announcements for the Bakersfield jam warned--“Participating instruments appear limited to traditional ones: banjo, mandolin, fiddle, bass fiddle, guitar, dobro.” One needs to play particularly well, therefore, to be welcomed.

2. Bluegrass musicians often tell me about the bad experiences they have had with harmonica players who play over everyone’s break, play bluegrass as if it were blues, and can’t follow the bluegrass melodies or chord changes. I think these harmonica players have given the harmonica a bad reputation.

3. Learning well-known fiddle tunes is essential for bluegrass harmonica players, but not enough. I’d estimate only 25% of the tunes played at most jams are instrumentals, and of these, some are dobro, banjo, and mandolin tunes. For the 75% of tunes that are sung, instrumental breaks are freely given between verses, even when the tune isn’t well known. It is important, therefore, to be able to hear chord changes and improvise over them, and to develop an ear to play melodies on the spot that one has never heard before.

For those wanting to break into bluegrass, I’d advise carefully listening to it, attending “slow jams” where beginners are welcome and are taught bluegrass jamming etiquette, and not playing (or playing very quietly off to the side) at jams where the musicians are much more advanced or where the tunes are too difficult.

For myself, I now almost exclusively play a C chromatic, regardless of the key the tune is played in. This technique serves me well in jams and in my new bluegrass CD—High Desert Bluegrass Sessions—which recently received a favorable review in the California Bluegrass Association’s Bluegrass Breakdown. But as demonstrated by great diatonic harmonica players such as Tony Eyers, a diatonic can certainly work.

To hear how I got hooked on bluegrass, go to
	http://www.cbaontheweb.org/cba_news.asp?newsid=3210

David Naiditch
www.davidnaiditch.com
http://www.myspace.com/highdesertbluegrasssessions