RE: [Harp-L] Where will the knowledge go?

Richard Hunter wrote, concerning recording harps with alternate tunings:
"But I do think it's a real possibility that 50 years from now, nobody
may be playing the stuff live, because they won't know where to start."

If the idea of people playing your music years down the road is a
heart-warming thought to you (as it would be for me), perhaps you could
include the tunings or a tuning chart/explanation in the liner notes of
the CD. Casual players won't get it, but those who are serious about
replicating your piece will understand.

When I dabbled in guitar many moons ago (never took a lesson), I could
never figure out how to make a slide get a certain sound from a record I
liked. Then I heard someone explaining "open-chord" tuning in a music
store and it all fell into place. A good example of Richard's premise, I
think. Without those in the know, the secrets are lost to time. Kind of
romantic in a way, but more romantic is having people play my music 50
years from now, rather than just playing my CD.

John Balding
Tallahassee, FL