RE: [Harp-L] Standing around feeling stupid

Okay...I wasn't gonna give up a trade secret, but since we're all
friends here...

When I'm playing at a jam session, where you have no idea what's coming
next, I sometimes employ a technique I call the "mystery harp".

When someone calls out a tune that is a solid no-go for harp, I cup the
mic in standard form, but I put my lips to my thumb instead of the harp.
I then proceed to merrily "play" fills and such - cheeks puffing in and
out - the whole nine yards.

When the guitarist gives me "the look", (you know the look - "You wanna
take a solo?") I shake my head NO. After the song, I wiggle some cords,
turn some dials and voila! Whatta ya know! It works again! I guess I'm
going to have to replace that darn mic cable...it's been giving me this
kind of trouble for years...

John Balding
Tallahassee, FL