[Harp-L] ancestor worship

Well. I've played stuff from Butterfield's East-West album for people who were not necessarily blues aficionados and they were SHOCKED when i told them it was recorded in 1967. They thought it was a new CD i had just picked up. The very best material will withstand the toughest test of all: The test of time.

Another (non harp) example from he rock world: Steve Winwood's performance of Gimme Some Lovin' with the Spencer Davis Group. Hard to believe it was first on the charts with the early Beatles' stuff in 1965. An example from the jazz world: Miles Davis' Kind of Blue album in 1959. Arguably the best album ever recorded.

Some of the stuff from the early 50's is limited by the recording technology of the time and just can't compete with more modern recordings with respect to sound quality, but that's an entirely different subject. But I'll say it again: The very best material will withstand the test of time. That is the measure of greatness.

JP