[Harp-L] Re: honky tonk woman

A.C. gives excellent advice in writing:

"... try soloing using the blues scale of the relative minor (blues scale
based on the sixth degree).  I'm assuming the band plays Honky Tonk Woman in
"G" in which case the scale would be: G, A, Bb, B, D, E, G'."

I feel obliged to point out that by dropping the flatted 3rd (Bb), this is
simply the major pentatonic G scale.  I just find it easier to think
"pentatonic" rather than "blues scale of the relative minor".  A.C. even
mentions skipping the flat 3rd in the middle register (=6ob), which makes it
just the simple pentatonic scale we all know and love.

A. C. also mentions the Country Honk version, which is really the only way
to play this IMO.  When I do this song, some chordal chugging on the up
beats is a good comp and also a nice way to kick off a solo.

Fred S