Re: [Harp-L] The Internet

If I were a dedicated perfectionist professional musician like Robert Bonfiglio, who had one of the world's best techniques, then I would be sorely p****d when someone ripped off my stuff. On the other hand, without the internet I would never have heard of Robert Bonfiglio and would not hold his work in esteem.

People ripped off Mozart too (and he ripped off others). Rather than skills at digitizing things, they needed the skill to listen to a live performance and reproduce it from memory.

The Irish satirist Flann O'Brien once argued that poetry should be banned, on the grounds that 'nobody makes several tons of jam in the hope that a few pounds will be edible'. The internet is utterly undiscriminating, but that is its strength for unusual interests like, in my case, free jazz, improvisation and, yes, harmonica. I did not see the non digital music industry do a good job of promoting the best musicians and music and I don't see them doing this yet. Wading through the tons of inedible internet jam, occasionally I find a tasty mp3 or two, which pleases me. I have found a lot of good music via harp-l that I would never have come across in a record shop. I prefer indiscriminate proliferation to editing and censorship by an economic or intellectual elite - who decided what was worth releasing?

Moving on, the Economist published an article recently saying that people under 25 expect music to be free. Apparently mobile (cell) phones are going to be packaged with 'free' (ie prepaid) access to sites for content. This may ruin the recording industry as surely as records ruined the live performance industry - ie it probably won't it will evolve it it surprising directions - who in 1972 would have predicted the rise of the 'tribute band' ?
Mozart would probably be amazed at all the Mozart tribute bands making a living today!

I like the pay per play approach (assuming people do not steal in appreciable quantities).

Richard