[Harp-L] John Sebastian Jr. on Harp (was Average Vs. Pro)

"...Sebastian was and is an accomplished player nonetheless, and his  tone
and articulation are spot on. Simple, but nowhere near as grating as, say,
Tom Petty. Or Alanis Morissette. But I do get your point.
And of course, it's ALL relative.

Jeff G
Denver

I agree whole-heartedly!! I think John Sebastian Jr. was/is a very respectable blues harp player. He's one of the very first guys I ever heard who made me sit up and take notice of blues harmonica.

Check out his blues harp instrumental "Night Owl Blues" on good ole' You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAgP3229jho

I first heard this cut as a "B-side" cut of a 45 rpm Lovin' Spoonful single I swiped from my older sister. Now I can't even recall the A side of that long-lost bit of musical history. Holds up well today. Solid in the pocket blues harp. In retrospect I think he shoulda played this one through a nasty little tube amp, but then again, we woudln't get to hear the bigness of his accoustic tone.

Harpin' in Colorado,
--Ken M.