[Harp-L] Re: Amps for beginners

>From a 'just past beginner' perspective, I've enjoyed having the amplified option.  Being loud can be fun, even if its not much good and you're only annoying the dog.  And if you have any aspirations to play in public later on, it doesn't hurt to get microphone experience early.

For a beginner the investment need not be too much.  I'd go for two mics if you can - a cheap HiZ mic to teach cupping technique (e.g. a second hand 520DX for about $50, or an Eggstatic for $20) and a cheap SM58 knock off ($10 or less - get one with a cable with a 1/4" jack - even though they're usually LoZ it doesn't matter with this rig/context) to put in a stand to learn vocal mic technique.  Run it into a cheap second hand 10W guitar amp (<$50).  Get a mic stand ($20) and you've got a viable practice rig.  You're not going to get that overdriven Chicago sound with this rig, but you can learn mic cupping and playing with a mic in a stand - both useful skills for later on.  If you want to invest more, get an Epi Valve Jr Half Stack - it seems to be the cheapest 'off the shelf' amp that works for harp.

I found that recording yourself (I use an ancient cassette recorder) will very rapidly reinforce the message that lousy harp played through an amplifier results in loud lousy harp.  As time goes by I use my amp (well, amps - at last count we had 8, plus 2 PAs, in the house, but I do have three muso kids) less and less. Acoustic practice is really the best way to improve.  But turning up the noise is fun occassionally and I think its worth having the option.

I've also come to the conclusion that the most cost effective way to get the rig to play in public is to get the right stuff in the first place - a good harp mic and harp amp (designed to work together) from reputable sellers (might be the same one - and is probably someone on this list!) is the best way to go IMHO.  But that's a different story.

If you're a newbie that knows a couple of songs that you feel deserve to be played loud (even if its just to yourself), get a mic and amp.  Its fun!

Cheers

Maka

      Stay connected to the people that matter most with a smarter inbox. Take a look http://au.docs.yahoo.com/mail/smarterinbox