[Harp-L] Re: the small amp for beginners controversy

Thanks Ray.

That room is my living room it's 20 foot by 12 foot.
I never play the Pignose above a quarter (9 O'clock) on the volume.
Which is loud enough in that room, but not too loud so as to annoy the neighbours in my flat (apartment). Which in rented accommodation is a major consideration.
I do find at that volume the bass is pretty good and it has more of an overdrive type sound as opposed to full on distortion.

However if I lived in a house (that I owned) I would use a 5F1 for practice as I could turn it up, and I do of course prefer the sound of valves (tubes) to Solid State.

I wouldn't personally consider using the Pignose for anything else than I already do..

Paul

Ray Wrote:

Totally agree with you, James.

The sound clips on YouTube of Paul playing though one (nice playing, Paul) should be taken with a grain of salt in regards to the "tone" of the amp. Paul is playing in a small room which is no doubt accentuating the bass. That sound I hear is not my experience with this amp.

And, man, ALL distortion ALL the time drives me NUTS!!! That little Pignose just drives all the time. Don't like 'em. Would rather play acoustic.

My current rig is an original '65 Super Reverb, straight-up, un- modded. Relatively cleaner than the tweeds, but that's where my sound was evolving to, the tolex Fender amps. I like the dynamics of clean- er to overdrive, and use mic/hand technique to drive the element or the amp, and a bit of tongue-blocking to introduce faux distortion when I want it, as a dynamic. Some tunes call for it more than others. But it's nice having a change of tone coloration.

And you don't have to play it loud, really you don't, to get a good Chicago-style sound. Just some decent technique at low volume. Or use a different input. (I'm not a tube swapper).

Ray.
--
My Music - www.resgraphics.com/music