Re: [Harp-L] bluegrass harmonica (referenced in Country Western Harmonica Pla...

Great post, Cara. I agree with SMOJO - well written.

It occurred to me after I posted what I found at the festival that the
videos/instruction being offered for sale were blues oriented, so, of course the
Bluegrass people would have little interest in buying these particular ones,
but  you beat me to the punch with your observation.

The smarter vendor would find more appropriate instrumental instruction
materials to sell - after all, the music fake books being sold were old time and
bluegrass compilations, not The Real Book.

However, it does stand to reason that not much interest in the harmonica  was
apparent at the show or with the vendors may be a reflection of the  in
terests of the crowds and the vendors wishing to make $$.

If I were doing a fest, I'd have Charlie McCoy as headliner. He is very
popular amongst the older bluegrass fans, as I discovered when I did promo flyer
handouts for the show he did for me last year when I tried to get a concert
series off the ground in Central Florida. (Outstanding show, btw, and I
overheard some happy patrons say "Man, that was great. Why, I would have had to  go
to the Grand Old Opry to see a show as excellent as this one").

Then, selling Charlie harmonica instructional material would have been a
given gold mine, especially after his performance.

On Jan  10, 2009, at 2:41 AM, Cara Cooke wrote:

> One of the things  that music vendor could have done for himself is
>  exchange
> the Dave Barrett blues harmonica instructional DVD for  something
> done by
> Mike Stevens or Charlie McCoy.   Bluegrassers know who these people
> are and
> how they  play.  There are so few harmonica players that get to the
>  level
> where they can play bluegrass well that there really aren't  that
> many role
> models to  follow.

steps!
cemailfooterNO62)