[Harp-L] Re: Rick Epping- Blackird at IronLung 2004 -> What Harmonica is that?, continued

The two tunings I use most for Irish and Old Time music are standard Richter
tuning and one with the 2 & 3 draw notes each lowered two semitones.  This
altered tuning is good for both 1st and 3rd positions.  With it you get in
the first 4 holes a complete diatonic scale except for the 7th; on a G harp,
the F# is now missing in the first octave.  In addition, the draw chord (1
through 6 draw) on a G harp is now A minor instead of D Major, which works
out great for the many A minor Irish tunes that call for A minor and G Major
chords.  Also, the draw octave availability is increased: 1&4, 2&5, 3&6,
4&8, 5&9 and 6&10 draw are all octaves.
The missing 7th, however, is not an insignificant problem; this is where
Paddy Richter tuning shines, as both the 6th and 7th are there in the first
octave.  On regular 10-hole harps I put a valve inside hole 4 to bend the
4-blow down to pick up the 7th.  This works out well sometimes and not so
well at other times.  As a rule, if a tune calls for a sub-dominant chord
more than a dominant chord I'll most likely use the 2&3 down tuning; if the
dominant chord is more important I might use the standard tuning.  Some
tunes I'll use both tunings, with fast switching between them.
So with the 2&3 down tuning I have plenty of chords and octaves at my
disposal for tunes in both Major and minor keys.

Rick