From: James boutilier <jamesb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Rick Epping- Blackird at IronLung 2004 -> What Harmonica is that?
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wednesday, January 7, 2009, 7:46 AM

Hi all.

New Years Resolution,  pick a harmonica, sit down and put lip to metal.

An admission here... 2 things got me back into taking the harmonica seriously
after thinking Blues was the only thing left to play on the harp (ok, so I
wasn't very imaginative)..,

1. Brendan Power's Website -> if that's not an encouraging place to
make you want to play Irish, nothing is. Thanks!
and
2. One particular performance by Rick Epping on Youtube.  2 versions of
Blackbird at the IronLung 2004
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEZI7HOlzNs

Now, I've been back and forth enough times to have walked across Nova
Scotia at this point, trying to figure out what is being played in that vid,  I
mean what harmonica, key and tuning.

Can anyone give a hand?   I've been trying to figure what harmonicas would
be the best to start learning Irish and Cajun music, and some kind folks have
been helping set things right in my head (no easy task.)

I've been moving away from the Paddy tuning idea in preference of mixing
more chord rhythm to the songs.  I'm about 95% decided on that at the
moment,  but I'd truly like to know what's being played in that song?

Granted, I'm sure a Puck would sound like a Promaster in the right mouth
--- just not this mouth at this time (grin.)

Thanks mates.

jim

--
Be Yourself @ mail.com!