Re: [Harp-L] Country Western harmonica players

The following is my opinion and should not necessarily be construed as  the truth:
  If harmonica players today want to work, at least in most local venues, they need to understand that harp is, as I think the Iceman said, a luxury. A solo guitar/singer act can work just fine without harp. Harmonica can add to the sound, but we shouldn't think it is the most important element in the sound.
I think taste in playing is the key. I play by ear. I can't play all the neat stuff that guys like Smo-Joe play. Or the over-my-head stuff that people like Chris Michalek can play.  I am not a really good player. But I know how to be in a band. I know how to try and find spaces in which to play. Mostly I don't know what to play in those spaces without a lot of trial and error, but I'm lucky to have a singer/guitarist who is patient and is a good friend who lets me work it out in practice.
I love the sound of harp in country music. Don Brooks in the early Waylon stuff, Mickey Raphael just plain killed in Willie's Stardust album. Jelly Roll Johnson has a unique sound that works will with current styles. I love blues harp, too, but I'm basically a country player, I guess.
This list and going to festivals like Buckeye and SPAH have made me a much better player. More importanly, they have allowed me to make many new friends with the same interests and what could be better than that.
Steve Webb, waxing philosophical in Minnesota