[Harp-L] Re: was Sonny Terry/now JC Burris

Paul is correct, JC's main doll was named "Mr. Jack." But later he carved a bunch of other ones, which he called "The Jacks Family." He would carve these dolls from wood and paint them himself, very colorfully. The 'adult' dolls were a couple feet tall, the Jacks 'kids' being somewhat smaller. The appendages were all on swivel hinges so that JC could cause them to tap dance in rhythm to the music. He also did great knee-slapping hambone and played excellent bones. It was a great act.

I remember one time about 30 years ago we did a show with JC at The Presidio in SF. Aside from being on the bill I was also a JC fan, and I happened to notice that he had a large stack of head-shot promo 8x10's that had been supplied by Arhoolie (the label he was with at the time.) He was happily signing these and giving them away, so I asked if he'd sign one for me. So he skipped over the stack of photos, reached into a battered tweed suitcase and pulled out an official promo 8x10 of the Jacks Family -- no JC Burris in the shot, just the dolls. He signed it, "Mr. Jack." (not JC Burris,) and presented it to me with a triumphant grin. I didn't know whether to be honored or disappointed. :) Still don't.

cheers,
Tom Ball
http://www.tomball.us
http://www.tomballkennysultan.com