Subject: [Harp-L] Cleaning Mildew off Tweed

I've been searching my books...took me a wee while :)

Here's what I've found so far:

I got this as a "handy hints'...in an email:

"Handy Hints #1:

Wiping the inside of the fridge with vinegar helps  prevent
mildew because acid kills mildew fungus.

Also read in another source: Lemon Juice and table salt (a cup each) to a
gallon of hot water....(you can do your own divisions for smaller amounts
;)....to use for bigger jobs).

There are, of course..commercial mildew removers on the market, but if this
is actual fabric and not vinyl simulating the Tweed 'look', I'd stick to
something which can be rinsed off easily and not eat through the material.

If it is a hard surface, then I'd feel fairly comfortable using any one of  a
few commercial products on the market: Tilex: Mildew Remover's one...a milder
 solution of bleach in water's another (but the mildew can always come back
if  the case is kept in a damp area).

Make sure you work in a well-ventilated room (or outside preferably), wear
plastic gloves AND a mask.  You shouldn't have been touching the case  anyway,
if there's mildew on the surface.  It IS mold...it does have  spores..released
into the air each time it's moved or touched. Not healthy for  you or anyone
exposed to it.

Here are a couple of links I found under 'remove mildew' in a Google  search:

_http://www.doityourself.com/stry/moldmildew_
(http://www.doityourself.com/stry/moldmildew)

_http://www.doityourself.com/stry/mildewmoldtest_
(http://www.doityourself.com/stry/mildewmoldtest)

_http://home.howstuffworks.com/how-to-remove-mildew-stains.htm_
(http://home.howstuffworks.com/how-to-remove-mildew-stains.htm)

Just for the record for anyone who doesn't already know this...since one of
the links mentions the use of ammonia...do NOT ever use bleach and ammonia
together, or at the same time. The combination gives off a gas which will kill
you.

_http://www.xomba.com/tell_me_why_why_cant_i_mix_bleach_and_ammonia_
(http://www.xomba.com/tell_me_why_why_cant_i_mix_bleach_and_ammonia)

I'd use any of these products only with a window wide open (inside)..or
outdoors if weather permits.  In the meantime I wouldn't use the case...but  wrap
it in something and store it in a sealed container until I could get to  it.
If it's heavily mildewed ....and the stains are into all of the nooks  and
crannies? ...frankly my own personal reaction would be to get rid of  it.  Your
own health is more important than salvaging something which could  keep being a
source of mold.

Just my opinion.

Elizabeth

Message: 2