Re: [Harp-L] MIDI Harmonica - revisited

There are certainly quite a few computer-based systems that will convert tones to MIDI, from voice etc. But why use MIDI rather than working with the digitized acoustic signal itself? In my view, MIDI is being supplanted by real time processing of the acoustic wave form, which gives greater flexibility. Nowadays this processing can occur in real time.

It used to be that computers tended to be fragile for live performance but modern laptops are tougher (and the no smoking bans in bars etc probably help). I haven't used this facility myself, but I have used computers for adding live (in the house live that is) effects to harmonica and with a fast processor and no other software running there are no longer problems such as time lag that used to afflict live performance using computer processing. I use a Mac powerbook G3 because I have one for work.

For instance John McLaughlin live uses an Apple power book in preference to an effects rack. He doesn't always use a guitar to midi converter, but also processes the acoustic signal in the computer, including synth sounds.
http://www.johnmclaughlin.com/

Given that McLaughlin not only delivers a very high (and varied) standard of sound and plays extraordinarily fast, a set-up like his would probably work for anyone. It seems to be made entirely of industry-standard bits of software and hardware.

One might use a cheaper pc laptop too, but I have never done this so I cannot comment on it. However, because macs are popular for music processing, there is loads of cheap, or even free software for macs, some of which does not exist for pcs. This may turn out to be a saving.

I recently downloaded ixiquarks (www.ixi-audio.net) which is a free suite of software to facilitate free live improvisation using synthesis and many other things, some of them unimaginable. Once I have learned how to use it a bit more, I will certainly put a harmonica through it. It bases synthesis on a digital waveform, not MIDI. People who want to stamp on a big button will not like it however, as it requires some technical understanding of acoustic processing, computers and a lot of fiddling about.

However I have no plans to change the valves in the powerbook to get a sweeter tone :). Decades ago it became obvious to me that despite the romance of analogue electronics, digital was way more flexible and powerful. With sufficient patience you can program any 'analogue' sound or effect digitally - so why use analogue?

... I await the equivalent of the comb materials storm re tube amps, effects pedals etc etc. Indeed, a similar blind comparison of analogue amps vs digital simulations would be interesting.

Richard

Richard Hammersley Grantshouse, Scottish Borders http://www.last.fm/music/Richard+Hammersley http://www.myspace.com/rhammersley http://www.myspace.com/magpiesittingdown