[Harp-L] jason ricci revival experience in florida--new songwriting

Jason performed in my backyard last night in boca raton/delray and ft lauderdale. I attended all three shows.

as expected, he gave a 100 percent for all four shows, stayed up all night and took the time to speak to all his fans.

i cannot tell you how impressed i am with his drive, fervor, bravery, talent, commitment and perserverence to make it as a musician/ songwriter and harmonica player. He was INCREDIBLE.

Jason deserves nothing but the best...he is a true star and deserves the accolades he receives.

His shows for the venues were completely different. At the big concert and the Bostons on the beach show, he was great as usually demonstrating sheer passion and delivery. I will not use this forum to make comments regarding "what he might have done differently", that is for another post, perhaps. He brought the house down and his radical choices of non harmonica songs, showmanship and virtuosity was brilliant. His band was tight, attentive and passionate. Backstage, his entire band was open and happy to meet everyone. Great guys.

FURTHERMORE----I must comment on his different show at the BACK ROOM,. He showcased a lot of new songs. I was totally blown away by this. Why?

Because, instead of the jamming over the one chord or one, four five chords that described his other shows, this show was different.....his new material is showcasing REAL SONGWRITING!!!

I lived in Nashville for eight years and I have good idea of what constitutes good songwriting. Nashville breeds songwriting. Think BRILL BUILDNG, Tin Pan Alley etc

Jason's new band is co writing all the new songs together so they are blending this new amalgamation of blues, pop, punk, jazz and fusion with songs that actually have songwriting merit. I am not going to say that a typical one four five progression is not songwriting (it is!!) but these new songs are creating a new style of songwriting that has to be heard. The sound was very fresh to my ears, commercial yet jammable. It might be a stretch to say this but perhaps similar to the songwriting that the GREATFUL DEAD would utilize. Big hooks with various exotic rhythms and memorable songwriting that provide exquisite vehicles for solos.

I am really not easily impressed but judging from what I heard at the backroom, we have even more great things to expect from JASON RICCI.

Wishing you the best, jason!!!!

randy

ps

my review has nothing to do with this, but thanks for getting me up to jam with you on diatonic and chromatic. It was superbly surreal.

I must sleep now, pardon my discombobulated syntax..............to all a good night