[Harp-L] Lowering the reed pad and reed aerodynamics

Rick Epping gave some absolutely wonderful information aboutembossing and chamfering reeds.One of his techniques is to lower the reed into/toward the slot atthe reed pad/heel, using a fingernail to press down on the reed.Could a similar effect be achieved by removing a square from the reedplate (where the reed is attached)? This would seem to eliminatethe need to press the reed down (bending it slightly) and it wouldleave no angle at the edge of the reedplate. Would this increasereed longevity and response sufficiently to make it worth the work?(I do realize that this is NOT something that would be done at the factory.)A second question: Rick gave a very thorough description of theimprovement in aerodynamics by chamfering the reed. Has anyone(specifically an engineer trained in aerodynamics as well as mechanics)done a study of the optimal aerodynamic shape of a reed to facilitatereed activation and oscillation? If so, have the results of that study been made public?I realize that there are tradeoffs involved (some of which are the costsassociated with creating a nonlinear surface shape in a productionenvironment). I'm just curious...Thanks!Crazy Bob
http://windowslive.com/online/hotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_hotmail_acq_speed_122008