[Harp-L] Staking v Swaging v Embossing v Burnishing (was: Embossing v Burnishing)

Smokey Joe pointed out:

> In the act of embossing, you are forcing material UP by putting
> pressure on the surrounding material.. when a person draws a sharp object
along the sides of an opening
> making a furrow or cut, it would seem that they are embossing. In
actuality, they are swaging.

...hence concluding that swaging is a perfectly good term to describe the
process. And I agree.

A zillion years ago, when this thread first started, there were numerous
terminologies suggested, each taking a turn at being the preferred/accepted
favorite. For about a week, the term I suggested, "Staking" actually was at
the top of the charts.

I'm actually writing this because I find it ironic that today I just
re-subscribed to Harp-l after a long (4 year?) haitus, and the first topic
of the day is one that was being discussed when I last left off. It kindof
indicates that this discussion board is either like "Groundhog Day" which
keeps repeating itself, or like "Days of our Lives," which progresses at
such a slow pace that you can tune back in after 12 months, and the same
characters are either still on their death bed, or still expecting the same
child. lol

Anyway, its nice to be back.  I hope to have a more meaningful message to
share in the near future.