[Harp-L] James Montgomery

Hi List,

Got to see a terrific New Years Eve show in the Greater Boston area featuring James Montgomery with the "Uptown Horns."  James is quite the consummate performer and a very nice gentlemen who spent a considerable amount of time chatting with me about 'everything blues' backstage before the show about (we even had a friendly debate about the best version of Caldonia ever recorded; I said Muddy with Portnoy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd0tUHHjCMU  he thought Muddy & Cotton!).

James is a 'blues-god' around these parts and has been for decades. Doesn't seem to get much (any?) talk on Harp-L and I was wondering how familiar the rest of the country is with him, and what folks thought of his harp playing??  He has studied with James Cotton and Junior Wells to name two, but really has a distinctive style all his own (plays clean thru an sm57 into the PA).

Barry
http://www.myspace.com/gracieblues