[Harp-L] NYC jams

I'm going to get as definitive as I can about jams in and around NYC. Forget about the Roadhouse and the Murray Street Grill on Murray Street. The latter succeeded the former and both were owned/ operated by a hothead named Arthur who has a horrific rep in the business for stiffing the musicians and not paying taxes on his joints which chronically close . As far as the jams in adjacent Hoboken, N.J.(easily accesible by the Path train from NYC or driving): Indeed Joe Taino (a dynamite guitarist) hosts the Saturday jam at "Scotland Yard" from 4-7 p.m. and the Monday night jam from 9:30 p.m until late and indeed Alex is a great blues harp guy originally from South America. A few months back Scotland Yard was sold and much of their staff were fired (Including Christine Santelli who tended bar, booked, and sang there). As a protest Big Ed Sullivan who has hosted the Monday night jam there for well over a decade moved his jam over to the nearby "Dubliner" (both Scotland Yard and the Dubliner are within walking distance and have websites). The Dubliner also decided to create a competitive Saturday afternoon jam from 4-7 hosted by V.D. King and his band "Better off Dead". On Monday nights at the Dubliner the local big guns come out for an essentially pro-jam, e.g., Dave Gross, Poppa Chubby, Mike Torres, V.D. King and Arthur Nielson. The house band with Big Ed and Arthur Nielson are talented and fun. Arthur (Shamekia Copeland's guitarist and music director) does a flaming guitar duo thing each week. All these guys from Alex to Big Ed to Joe are my friends and they keep doing this stuff for little compensation. I usually play with Big Ed's house band every two weeks. These jams tend to be very very guitar heavy in talent and volume . From what I know of Jon Paris's thing in BB's on Times Square (NYC) it's not a jam per se (although my friend Sean- a guitarist- has never went there without being invited up) but whatever the definition of his gig I'm sure dropping Rob P's name will get you up there. Other things in NYC: Dave Fields (another super guitarist) host a jam at 147 Bleeker Street at "The Biter End" once to twice a month (next on 01/ 11) at 10 p.m. Dave is a good guy and tight friends with Billy Gibson who comes up from time to time to play with Dave. Finally Jason Rosen hosts a jam from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. on Tuesdays at Kenny's Castaways at 157 Bleeker street (NYC) that my guitarist says is a rhythm and blues blast. None of these are harp heavy but if you've got the talent (or not depending on the jam) and you persevere you'll get up there. Hope this clarifies the NYC jam thing for some. (Long gone are the Chicago Blues, Manny's, Dan Lynch, Abilines, Kavehaz, Tribecca Blues days) My best and happy 2009. d
http://www.myspace.com/blowintheblues