  From: EGS1217@xxxxxxx
  To: John.Balding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Cc: cdgaldos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ; harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Friday, February 27, 2009 2:32 PM
  Subject: Subject: RE: [Harp-L] Harp Dream (this is as real as it gets)

  A lot of what you say makes sense, John...the subconscious mind is an amazing thing....but the only factor you might not have figured in is that Abner doesn't play harmonica ...or at least is brand new to the instrument...so in effect, is saying he played 'under the influence' of pain meds while believing he was asleep, in a way he had absolutely no knowledge of in real time.  His wife said he actually did this ...while in effect 'sleepwalking'...So it wasn't a matter of any 'lick' which had been escaping him for months, but something he previously had no knowledge of how to do at all...

  NOW how would you explain this new-found ability? <G>

  ...because I'd sure like some of it. :)

  Elizabeth

  P.S.  I somehow suspect the neck brace in playing a part.  I too was forced to wear one after severely injuring my neck prior to a surgeon  trying to push me into the very same surgery Abner's recovering from.  I'm a much bigger chicken than he is....I half-seriously told my doctor I'd give permission if he could mold my neck into the proper chromatic playing position...(he wasn't amused). I found another much more conservative surgeon and recovered without surgery...but do remember falling asleep wearing the brace at times constricted blood vessels (and breathing) sufficiently enough to cause strange dreams even without the opiates....

  (snipped)

  "I know that this sounds like voodoo mumbo-jumbo, but I really believe
  that it happens. I think that this is what happened in Abner's dream.
  His mind clicked and he began playing all of those tunes he had been
  working on, but never quite figured out while he was awake. I bet if he
  had a recording of it, he would have said: "I've been trying to get that
  lick for months!"

  John Balding
  Tallahassee, FL