Re: [Harp-L] Hearing aids

Amen to that. I wear my molded plugs at practice, with the band and we use in-ear monitors on stage. My hearing aids are not needed on stage.

bullfrog
Jay Thompson wrote:
I have a remote control with my hearing aids that lets me choose between 3
channels. I have one set up specifically for playing acoustic music which
gives me very natural acoustic guitar tone and I'm able to hear the harp
very naturally. I actually took my guitar and some harps with me to the
audiologist and we worked together to get them tweaked well. I've found that
most audiologists have specific brands and models which they like. Sometimes
you have to find the right audiologist. The audiologist that fitted me
didn't do a good job with setting the parameters. The next audiologist said,
"I love these. They're my favorites to work with!" She changed all 3
channels with my input in very little time and I've done little tweaking
since then. There is life after hearing aids!

However, for electric band settings I agree with others. I have custom
molded musicians earplugs with interchangeable filters. They do take a
little of the "juiciness" of the music away but I refuse to lose anymore
hearing just to play with a band that is too loud. I wear them 98% of the
time whether I'm on stage or listening out front. My Dad is almost stone
deaf even with his incredibly powerful hearing aids and I don't want to go
that way!

All the best,
Jay