Re: [Harp-L] RE: Harp amps vs Guitar amps

Another thing I think worth mentioning is that many of the early amps had a mic input that was a higher resistence input, much better matched to the, then cheap, HiZ mics of the day. The accordian input on my Ampeg seems to also be in that range, I believe some of the electric accordians had Astatic elements in them. These HiZ inputs are now a "harp modification" , because nobody needs to plug their vocal mic into their guitar amp these days. It seems to me that most of what have become these 'state of the art harp amp mods', are just bringing the voltage back down on the tubes and changing the impedence of the inputs, like the old amps, along with beefing up the power supply (which is good for guitars also) and bigger output transformers. (also desireable in a guitar amp) The amps that don't work so well for harp are the ones tweaked for high gain guitar, something that was not available when I was a kid, we had to boost them between the guitar and amp with preamps and stomp boxes when they became available. Whoops, I've confessed that I'm a guitar player, that's dangerous in these parts. JD