Re: [Harp-L] corner switching question - and instructional resources

John -

You raise an important point. Playing right side tongue block does not automatically mean you can play ltongue blocked single notes out of the left side of your mouth. Even playing out of both sides at the same time (split intervals) does not guarantee a command of playing melody out of the left side, becuase it's usually just a tag-along to playing out of the right side.

To strengthen your left side embouchure, try playing exclusively from the left side for melodies, riffs, and anything else you might play from the right side of your tongue block or with a pucker.

Start with long notes, concentrating on getting a clear single note breathing in and out. Then start moving from hole to hole. Check the placement of the harp to your lips to make sure there isn't any drag between your lips and the harp that could compromise the opening to make additional holes sound or create air leaks.

I have written a whole series of articles on tongue switching for HarmonicaSessions.com, starting with "Left Field Embouchure" in th February 2006 issue:

http://www.harmonicasessions.com/feb06/chromatic.html

The next few issues deal with split intervals (April, June, and August 2006), followed by a seven -part series on Multiple Embouchure starting in the October 2006 issue.

These articles were written specifically for chromatic but the principles apply equally to diatonic

To my knowledge, most of this stuff has never been written about before. Now it has.

If you're curious about corner switching or mixing embouchures, check out these resources.

Winslow Yerxa