[Harp-L] Attenuator confusion

Just to clarify, this observation is incorrect:

> >It lets you turn your stock
> > amp further, which helps drive the power tubes to saturation, without
> > feedback.

An attenuator does not allow you to drive an amp FURTHER than is possible.
It allows you drive the amp to its maximum normal setting, THEN cut back the
output volume by 3, 6 or 9 db (or more if you have one of the fancier ones).
If it allowed you to push the circuit beyond its limit, it would,
logically, affect the tone.

But a quality attenuator has no effect on tone with the exception that the
speakers at maximum attenuation won't be moving as much as they do at
minimum or no attenuation. This may have a slight effect on tone
characteristic of the speaker design but not to the degree that the human
ear can actually detect it when you are blowing a harp into the amp. I have
had guitar buddies play through the amp and they are equally unable to
detect any tonal difference between the settings when playing guitar. For a
technical explanation of this reality, which a lot of guys on the guitar
boards are also confused about, I would direct you to Bob at The Perfect
Note, who supplies the Clark attenuator.

All the best,
Drew