Re: [Harp-L] "A-Train" -- workarounds

Of course, all instruments have some limitations.   But in talking about
harmonicas. Why are there   so many tunings?   Get the right tools need.

Most of these tunings are for diatonic, but now that customizers are widely
available and Seydel can do all kinds of things, why do it the hard way when a
special tuned chromatic harmonica   will do the job. Bebop tuning anyone?

Get the instrument that meets the needs. To play A-Train in Ab, get a
chromatic in G and push the button in. Need 16-hole harmonica in a key other than C,
order one. I don't know if Seydel can make a 16-hole in other keys, but I
would not be surprised. (Anybody know?) The firm makes all kinds of
"factory-tuned" harmonicas that were only available from customizers until rather recently.

The chromatic seems to have more limitations than most instruments, even
though it is considered a "chromatic" instrument. Several keys are indeed possible
but virtually unplayable because of complications of the range 3-4 octaves,
layout of the notes (variations of inhale exhale button in and button out.

(This is not to say that playing the chromatic is inherently harder than the
diatonic. It's not. Anytime to can get any note you want any time you want
by changing breath direction or pressing a button, you've got an easy path to
follow. And remember, accidentally changing your embouchure is not going to
give you a new and unexpected "bent" or "choked" note on the chrome like on the
diatonic. If you want to bend on the chromatic you have to work at it.)

The guitar is limited by its range (distance between high notes and low notes
... two octaves?) -- even with the bass E string lowered to D (drop D tuning)
it is not low enough on a standard 6-string to get the bass notes needed in
some ragtime pieces (or jazz0 so they are all transposed into a few keys.   A
7-string (classical nylon or solid body steel string) often meets this need.

The last time I suggested that the chromatic harmonica is NOT as chromatic as
a piano I was greeted with severe criticism -- how dare I blaspheme the Noble
Chromatic. But anyone who pays even the slightest attention to what keys
chromatic players use (discussed on the Harp-List) knows that not all keys are
created equal.

Some players prefer to play chromatic "positions" such as by playing a song
on what would be F   on a C harp using the same fingering on a Bb harp,
rendering it in Eb concert pitch (if I've got it right).   This would provide mostly
draw notes in the F-key rendering.

There are those who can, and have played just about anything on the chromatic
over the years. But I do not plan to spend a thousdand hours mastering the
chromatic.

I want to pick it up and work my way through a song the same way I can sit
down at the piano -- for my personal enjoyment, and maybe after 10-20
repetitions get it right.

So what if there are limitations to other instruments? Ever heard a boogie
bass run on an accordion? Real tough with the little-bitty buttons for the left
hand. Lot easier for the bass on a piano/electronic keyboard.

One of the most closely guarded secrets of the Golden Age of Harmonica is
that those night club acts used special tuned chromatics! for particular songs.
Now, most people being unaware of this, think those guys (mean & women) play
standard out of the box chromatics.

Now if it takes corner switching (tongue blocking left switching to the
tongue block on the right) to pull off a proper rendition of the A-Train, that is
the way to do it. But -- just a hunch guess -- I would say very few chromatic
players can corner switch who are not members of the Musicians Union. A good
portion of chromatic players are lip pursing, not tongue blocking. Which is
perfectly fine. Whatever works. Whatever gets the job done.

Would a special tuned harmonica make the song easier? I don't know. Perhaps
somebody else does.

But it that would help, get a spiral tuned harp, or a Melody Maker or a Steve
Baker Special or a Hohner Slide Harp (10 Richter tuned holes do what takes 12
holes to do in standard solo tuned chromatic -- eliminating those double C's
saves space).

The Jamey Aebersold playalong books/ with CD show the tune in C, according to
Rapid Reference available on the Aebersold web site.

And while I respect the playing of just about anyone playing A-Train who is
mentioned on the list, I would prefer to go back to the original: original
recording to hear what is actually being played. A lead sheet (fake book
arrangement) that tells me what the notes are. I've never seen any comment about how
poorly fakebooks render melody lines -- only that some of them get the chords
wrong/oversimplified.

The last thing I want to do is learn a song based on somebody's cover version
-- which is their interpretation. It may or may not have all the notes. But
if I go back to the original, I have at least half a chance of getting the
melody right rather than copying someone's arrangement that differs.

This would follow the admonition of various harmonica players over the years
to avoid imitating others, find your own voice. And if you are playing a
carbon copy of somebody else's performance -- you are playing THAT arrangement.

Remember the first step of learning is confusion.

Hope this helps
Phil