RE: [Harp-L] Harmonica Content, Meta-Content

Derwood posts:

> OK, here I go again. I promise to drop this subject after this rant for at
> least one more month. This list is about harmonica stuff. I play harmonica,
> you play harmonica. But I get tired of the "harmonica related" items that
> are about how so and so does not respect the harmonica because he plays in a
> way that does not please me or acts in a public way that does not please me.
> In my opinion this kind of disrespecting does not promote the harmonica. It
> is exclusive rather than inclusive. I would suggest that to have a dialogue
> that is inclusive we need to do less talking about who is not a "real"
> harmonica player and talk more about harmonica in a humble, respectful way.
> Honestly I am currently unwilling to put any recording of myself out there
> on this list because I assume I will get more destructive criticism than
> constructive criticism. I know I am not alone; I hear from many everytime a
> say this stuff. And I know that some of you are thinking that I am,
> therefore, not serious about harmonica and/or am not tough enough to face
> reality. But I guess I believe that people deserve to be honored and
> respected. We need a little less "speaking the truth" and a little more
> "speaking the truth in love".
>
> Or maybe I am trying to be included in the wrong group.

I must assume that you are referring to the discussion about the comedian that owns a harmonica and inhales and exhales through it at a blinding, record setting rate.

I happen to think that we as a group ARE valid in discussing this and also exposing this for the fraud that it is.

I think that when most people play and try they are given the benefit of the doubt more often than not if they are truly trying to play the instrument. This is by my abservation, almost to a fault. This is pervassive PC-ness that runs all through American society. ie: making every kid in school Student of the Week, every kid on the sports team gets a trophy and on and on.

I also think that if the gloves were taken off and a few more people told that they really need to hit the woodshed and don't come back until they do: then we would have a much better musical populace.

Michael Peloquin
http://www.harpsax.com
http://www.myspace.com/peloquinharpsax