[Harp-L] Re: Question

Private message forwarded with permission due to recent relavent threads.

On Feb 19, 2009, at 12:37 PM, Ronald Burton wrote:

Hey all knowing ONE

Charlie McCoy uses a Hohner Piccolo "G" and "A" in several tunes according to his Key Chart.

That's correct. He used those at a time when high Gs and As weren't available. (67 to around 75). BUT, the harp YOU are referring to isn't (necessarily) a Piccolo. Piccolos once came in Bb, B, C, D, E, F, G, A, Cm, Fm, Gm. They 'could' be Vest Pocket harps (same size) which came in G hi and A hi.

There was a reason for this. Beings that when you play in crossed harp, you are actually dropping down in tone. (G equals D only lower, A equals D only lower), it allowed Charlie to reach UP one octave while STILL retaining the ease of having the SAME layout as a standard sized Marine Band in the lower 6-7 holes. That way, he didn't have to fool with the way the harp changes and reverses. Thus, he was able to do all the bends and smears he was used to doing on a regular harp, but could now do it an octave higher...thereby making the tune more interesting. That was especially beneficial when a tune had little or no bridge. He did this to prevent listener boredom.

I never had to resort to this because I always cut the 5th and 9th draw UP a sharp, and my runs all worked out. You will notice that Charlie hardly uses the very tops of the harps...whereas I DO. The 9th raised draw makes it work.

Hohner says they only have a "C"...and Coast tocoast only sells a "C"...Does McCoy have his made special??

No, he is probably still using older harps. I think they quit making all those tunings around 91? You could ask about the 'Vest Pocket' model and see if they still make THEM. But, in any case, a country tuning (similar to mine) has the 5th draw raised. If you were to ALSO raise the 9th draw (as I do), you probably wouldn't need the hi tuning anymore. I can cut the harp for you.

Whaddya think?

Think? Now you're asking me to think? jo jo

JET BLUE