[Harp-L] RE: Spence (was spiral tuning & folk instruments)

Young Folklorist (interviewing Joseph Spence in the early 1970's:) Mr. Spence, I couldn't help noticing that you play all your songs in the same tuning, dropped-D tuning, and the same key, D major. Why is that?

Spence: I used to know all them keys! I knew 'em all: A, and B, and D, and F, and H... I used to know all them keys!

YF: Well Mr. Spence, if that's true, then why do you play everything in the same key of D? Why don't you use any of those other keys?

Spence: I got tired of 'em!