[Harp-L] RE: Not-so-open mic

Smo-Joe's response regarding an open mic that doesn't welcome newcomers, or
treats them curtly or with smug disregard was on the money. It's a recipe
for failure. Reason? If outsiders aren't welcomed or don't feel welcomed,
they'll stay away. Word gets around too. So Smo Joe's comments weren't over
the top. And Iceman's comments echoed them with perhaps the real reason the
place was empty.

I'm the harp part of the house band that hosts an open jam. I leave my amp
on stage and if another harp player shows and wants to play through it,
great. I'm a bit more sheepish about my mics but only because a lot of mine
are vintage un-obtainium, (ever had someone drop your vintage crystal mic?)
and there's a small dollop of hygenic hesitation with my mics too, since
they're closer to my personal 'food chain'. But if someone asks, I'll
generally turn the amp and the mic over to them. Most times I'm flattered
that someone wants to try my setup to see if they can get my sound.

Open mic nights are beneficial if you avoid the treatment the original
poster got. We ALL had a 'first time on stage' and had plenty to deal with
just overcoming the butterflies without the angst of dealing with the 'all
about me' guys who won't give a newbie a chance. Yeah, at our open mic we've
had off key singers, harp players who sounded like they were doing nasty
things to the housecat, guitar 'players' who couldn't, and drummers who were
probably the origin of the joke "there are musicians, and then there are
drummers". We've had them all. But that's what open mics are for...learning
and helping the newbies along and sometimes getting an education too.
Yepper, ever gone to an open mic and had someone drop in and tear the house
down? Someone you could steal a riff or three from? It happens, but only if
an open mic night is truly open.

I know the open mic night I go to is truly open.....because they even let ME
play guitar!

bill otten