Re: [Harp-L] Blow sticks after overblow

Blow note sticking after overblow? Two possibilities:

- The harp is different after you play the overblow.

- Your mouth is different after the overblow.

Neither is unlikely.

When you play an overblow, you have to silence the blow reed so that the less efficient draw reed can respond to the blow breath.

Two ways to do this are:

1.  to set your mouth to a different resonant frequency, i.e., the frequency of the overblow note and *not of the blow note. If you keep this mouth shape when you go back to playing the blow note, it may fail to respond.

2. to hit the blow reed with enough air pressure (or attack followed by air pressure) that it is pressed and held flat to the reedplate so that air can't get under it to let it vibrate. If it's still stuck in that position when you go to play a blow note, it won't respond readily.

It may be that setting your reeds up for easier initiation of overblows would relieve you of any need for extremes of attack and therefore also relieve you of the sticking blow note problem.

But I would suggest that you try this exercise:

1) Play a relaxed blow note. Remember the feel of your mouth (including tongue and throat), the feel of the air flow, and the feel you get from the interaction of your breath with the reed.

2) play an overblow, and note all the same things - feel of mouth anatomy, breath and reed. End the overblow.

3) Stop playing momentarily and relax.

5) repeat, but work to shorten, and finally eliminate, step 3)

Winslow

Winslow Yerxa