[Harp-L] Re: Walter Horton's daughter speaks out

The movie as a while is another attempt at Hollywood to distort history for the sake of profit. Sad really. There has been plenty said about the inaccuracies, but here's another reviewer that discusses this point:
http://www.mercurynews.com/tv/ci_11138574?nclick_check=1
In part it states, "The most troubling decision was to remove label co-founder Phil Chess from the story ­ as if he never existed. Other problem areas include how the label got its start (the film never addresses its transition from Aristocrat Records), the absence of other significant Chess artists (notably Bo Diddley) and its overly dramatic conclusion (especially in regard to co-founder Leonard Chess).... In the end, though, Beyoncé's captivating voice and the film's other pluses can't outweigh the glaring omissions from the story line for this critic. "

Disregarding many of these early recording artists (particularly the black ones) and their importance is nothing new. A friend of mine, a singer for whom I mixed a few recording sessions and a couple of live shows, once told me, "Anyone who listens to Big Mama Thorton sing 'Hound Dog' and still likes Elvis better just doesn't know s--- about music."

          From Randy G.
 Live to Play  -  Play to Live
http://www.myspace.com/RandyGBlues
http://www.myspace.com/PhatBoyzBlue