Re: [Harp-L] Fast vs Slow Playing

It all depends on what you can hear and what you can play. There are some who can play fast and really have something to say that requires such speed. Others there are also who can play fast but what they play has little to do with the melody. I applaud the former, while disparaging the latter.

For me, a slow solo line that reflects the melodic content of the piece is musically superior to a fast and flashy line that is simply a riff that the player has learned and that may or may not fit the melodic content. I could cite well regarded players on both sides.

-LM