Re: [Harp-L] Ear Plugs

I've had the custom moulded type for about 20 years now. They come with snap in filtres that range from a 9 dB, 15 dB or 25dB. They're like Garry says. The music is actually easier to hear and less distorted. I have the 25dB and 15 dB filtres. I pretty much always just use the 25's. I'm kind of hooked on hearing protection now. I fly with the 15's in. Life is a lot less stressful when you can turn the volume down. I don't ever get ringing in my ears when I use these plugs but I will walk out on a show that's so loud I'm uncomfortable with the plugs in. Here's a link to the ones I use, http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/erme.aspx

Playing with ear plugs in is difficult. Because the harmonica is in your mouth the sound it makes is coupled through bones to your ears. When you wear ear plugs and play the loudest sound you hear is the harmonica in your head. Amp tone and volume relative to the band is tough to discern. Ultimately the solution for me was to stop playing in acoustic environments that would damage my hearing. I love my ear plugs. They work really well. You can play with them in but the learning curve is steep. It's work to get used to them. My band opened for Freddy Fender in the last years of his life. He could not hear a thing. His guitar amplifier was a Fender Twin and it was cranked on stage. He had the treble way up. He flat out could not hear in any noisy environment. It's just a matter of time. fjm