[Harp-L] Re: stage fright

Stage fright? What's that? In a crowd of 100, 1000, or more I'm only playing
to that cute, young redhead, (or blond or brunette) in the first few rows
who appears to be hanging on every note I play.

In all seriousness, you get over stage fright by playing. And realizing that
EVERY musician has blown a clam or three during his/her career. Why, just
this past week Jessica Simpson cried onstage after messing..oops, my bad,
poor metaphor pairing Jessica and musician in the same sentence. Anyhow,  in
the course of being a musician, things are going to go awry. Sour note,
missed a pick up or lead in, lost yourself in the progression change, etc.
Stuff happens. Larry Adler, one of my chromatic heroes, mentioned completely
blowing a major classical movement once on stage. He comped the song until
he regained his composure and finished the number. Stuff happens. Music is
supposed to be fun, supposed to entertain, and not be health destroying.
When learning to overcome stage fright, be like the fledgling baby bird at
first..flap the wings a bit to get the feel, venture forth on a short
flight,  and then attempt full flight. You'll know when you're ready. Like
the fledgling bird, there will be some anxiety, but know that soaring is
where you're destined eventually. That's when all that early anxiety will
have paid dividends.

Oh, and know that you'll hit different plateaus in your musical learning
curve. At each plateau, the fledgling concerns will return as you push
toward greater heights.

bill otten