[Harp-L] Re: fast playing

Larry "The Iceman" Eisenberg succinctly wrote:

adding others-

FAST PLAYING MIGHT EQUAL:

-Too much testosterone

-Nervousness

SLOW PLAYING MIGHT EQUAL

-Maturity

-Confidence

 In a message dated 2/9/2009 9:57:25 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
mmolino54@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Are the  connotations below accurate? Would you add others?

FAST PLAYING MIGHT  EQUAL:

- Joy

- Happiness

- Energy

- Youth

- Fun

SLOW  PLAYING MIGHT EQUAL:

- Sorrow/Melancholy

- Contemplation/Reflection

-  Weariness

- Death

To Larry's I might add that fast playing might equal:

- self aggrandizement

Joy and happiness? Sure. Play Little Walter's "Roller Coaster" or Whammer
Jammer slowly. Doesn't work. There are times when tempo needs to be quick.
But not simply to show that you can play fast. I play the William Tell
Overture on chromatic fast. Why? Because it demands it.

slow playing might equal:

- confidence in conveying the musical 'message' in a concise manner without
the need for excessive verbage. Why write a book if a paragraph is all it
takes?

I've never equated slow playing with death, nor with weariness. Sorrow and
melancholy yes.if that's what the song called for. If you're weary, sit and
listen. Pick up some new ideas. But don't play when you can't give your
audience your best..for all of our sakes, it's the instrument we are
representing too.

Thanks Larry, you're still my teacher after many years! By the way, Larry is
NOT responsible for my opinions. I do owe him a debt of thanks for his
teaching and instruction though, which has helped me as a player.

bill otten