[Harp-L] Tempo

Well, vive la difference, I suppose.  Is it true for you that Fast = happy, slow= (what? not happy? sad?)  Not a truism for me!

Give me slow and steady, laid back, easy, I'm very happy with that.  Fast and speedy,  I can be happy with that, too, as long as it's fun, but it's not usually my bag.

Yes, I play that tongue-piston effect when I need the air or special effect, but it's rare and with weak tone, and my tongue o-wise gets plenty of exercise blocking and fluttering... so I eschew it.

Now, I'm an old fart and only move fast when I have to (I can move fast!), yet if I can move slowly and have as much fun, Sono MOLTO allegro vivace!

-Dave Fertig

Forwarded Message: [Harp-L] tempo

        [Harp-L] tempo
        Monday, February 9, 2009 5:48 AM

                jim.alciere@xxxxxxxxx

            harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

Why play fast? Let me quote arranger Joe Paparone: "Try being extremely
happy at a slow pace. It doesn't work. Tempo is integrally related to mood.
"

a standard Italian description of tempo: 140-150) *Allegro assai:* very
happy (150-160)* Allegro vivace:* happy with spirit (160-184)
*Vivace:*spirited, bright
Joe's website has some good music theory information:
http://www.musicarrangers.com/star-theory/t16.htm

One might say John Popper and the boys play party music. I do too.
--
Jimmy