RE: [Harp-L] tempo

I'm glad Jim brought up the notion of emotion as it relates to tempo. This speed topic bubbles up to the surface every so often and we fall into the "tastes great" vs. "less filling" kind of discussion. I agree with most of the posters that simply playing fast or cramming in a lot of notes because you can doesn't do any service to the music, but the conversation takes on some pretty interesting turns if we look at the what tempo does to the music.

Are the connotations below accurate? Would you add others?

FAST PLAYING MIGHT EQUAL:
- Joy
- Happiness
- Energy
- Youth
- Fun

SLOW PLAYING MIGHT EQUAL:
- Sorrow/Melancholy
- Contemplation/Reflection
- Weariness
- Death

We all experience these things and no one player need stick to one tempo, nor even the same tempo throughout one piece, but it is fascinating to see who is drawn to what type of playing as a listener and as a player. Does the subject matter match the playing in tempo? Does your personality or the personality of the player match the tempo you normally hear from them?

Can you think of counter examples? A slow harp song that exudes happiness or joy? A fast harp song that speaks to the blues or sorrow?

-Marc