Subject: R: [Harp-L] scary fast playing

Short answer?  You don't.

You seem to have a misunderstanding of the thread. (Hopefully?)  no one is
saying that EVERYone should play fast or 'scaryfast' as it's  now been dubbed.

I'd suggest that you only and always play as you want to and how it  suits
you. That's the beauty of harmonica...it encompasses players who play  only
Country or Irish or Jazz or Rock or Blues....or who prefer  to play
Ballads...chromatic or diatonic...and even some people who can  actually play all of those
styles and both of those instruments...and who even  then want to learn other
types of harmonicas like the tremolos, chord  and bass versions which are
rarely talked about here but which are  just as much a part of harmonica history as
are the 10-hole diatonic and  chromatic.

Where would the harmonica trios of the past have been without their  chord
and bass players?  Yet these people rarely get  a chance to talk about or BE
talked about on harmonica  lists.  There should be (and is) room for everyone,
every  style and yes - every speed, in discussion.  Probably why a lot of  those
people go to harmonica conventions...so they can be heard and play the
styles and instruments of their choice.

The key words in Randy G's post are: 'unless you are more talented than I
am' in his post about playing fast, when he wrote: "The  problem is that,
unless you are more talented than I am, tone suffers, so  I use it  sparingly and
only when most of the crowd is more drunk than I  am..

Since the reality is that there are players out there who  can play fast and
with brilliant skills and tone to die for (sorry John  Potts, you're entirely
wrong about it being an 'either/or' situation or a  detriment to tone if one
plays 'fast'), they will always be the ones who stay at  the top of the 'envy'
list of some people, just out of reach of most average  players...which is
another reason their CD's actually sell.

Here's a great review incorporating a mention of several  players who choose
to play fast but can (and do) slow it down and play  brilliantly either way).
More specifically, it's a review of the Brendan  Power/PTGazell album 'Back to
Back' by Richard Hunter, but gives a good synopsis  of 'fast playing': (I've
extracted only the two relevant snippetts from what was  a long and excellent
review which can be found in its entirety here:

_http://www.ptgazell.com/Reviews.html_ (http://www.ptgazell.com/Reviews.html)

Richard writes:
"The solos are striking, and when they play together, it's just fabulous.
It's interesting to note how fast these guys can play, too.  When I wrote  "Jazz
Harp" in 1980, I basically said that harp players were never going to play
at saxophone speeds.  Well, since then we've had Levy, Popper, Ricci,  Power,
Gazell, Gregoire Maret, Harmonica Boris, Clint Hoover, and more prove me
wrong.  It's official--harp players now play fast.".

.....and another snippett about the album:

"People who are into jazz on the harmonica will play this record until the
plastic wears out. Anyone who wants to hear some truly new harmonica ensemble
textures is well advised to pick this up too.  This is the current state of
the art in harmonica horn sections."

"state of the art"....is the phrase which leaped out at  me  because Brendan
and PT as well as the others he mentioned (and  some others of my personal
favourites) are the players I've found who  personally make harmonica so exciting
today.

Speed isn't restricted to any one genre. Bluegrass musicians play at
blindingly fast speeds...harmonica players who love that genre have to  learn to play
fast to keep up if they want to be included, and this is equally  true of a
lot of Irish/Scottish music...no doubt music specific to certain other
countries as well.

I'm a huge fan of Brendan and PT....their shows at SPAH or other  conventions
are 'can't miss'  since they bring something completely  different than most
of those audiences are used to hearing.

...So too my favourite Blues/Rock player is Jason Ricci who can play a  slow
ballad as wonderfully as anyone else (seek out his accompaniment  of Heidi and
the ElCats on 'Going to California' and 'Mexico' for some  gorgeous harp
playing (and his current studying of and playing chord  harmonica which seems to
be surprising everyone except me since I know him as  first and foremost a
musician). What HE does is play along at the same speed and  achieve the same tone
as his guitarist, Shawn Starski.  There are times  where it's virtually
impossible to tell which instrument is creating the  sound one is hearing, Jason is
that good. It leaves the audience agape and  stunned, especially the first
time they hear him. I haven't met anyone yet  who doesn't want to go back for a
2nd time after hearing him play.

SmoJoe Leone wrote a review here on Harp-l of his experience at a Jason
Ricci Live show which I tried to synopsize but couldn't because his points need
to be understood in their entirety.  (This is from November, 2006)

""Weight...... 154 lbs 3 oz
Height........6' 0   1/2"
Reach........Yes he does
Age............   32
Record.......Yes

Introducing, from Nashville Tenn., The heavy   weight champion of the
world

I had only met him recently.   It was the Buckeye Harmonica Fest (circa
2005?)
I hadn't   really heard him till then. I mean really REALLY heard him.
What   I mean
is that I had heard OF him, and everything I had heard was   positive.

Well I got to hear him a second time at the blues blow   off at
Herman's Hideaway
in Denver this past August.  We got  there late and I was only able
to catch a snippet. Then   his
set at the SPAH hotel locale, gave me a tantalyzing third all   too
brief snipett in an all too sterile
environment. For, you   see, he is meant to be heard both live AND raw.
One needs   to
FEEL the power, feel the angst, feel the pain, feel the passion,   feel
the youth, feel the virility,
feel the strength. And it   must be live and in living color. And the
color would have to be   blood red.

You see, this amazing human being from the planet earth   (yes he IS
from earth) bleeds his music.
He literally  opens  up his arteries and bleeds his life out for you.
It  doesn't  matter if there is only
one of you, ten of you, a  hundred, or a  thousand. He gives his all,
regardless.

Now  I have made  it no secret that way back in 19 and 60, I was a mere
lad of 18  a hobo for a time. During that
short period I had the  good fortune to  develop a love for blues to
add to my jazz  addiction. I got to  hear
some of the best over these 46 years, and I  had never ever
experienced anything like the champ.

Are  there harp players who  can match his speed? Maybe, but I have
never heard one. Can  anyone
match his clean accuracy? Maybe, but I  am unable to recollect  one.
How about the ability to 'catch'  bent notes in any one of  4? steps
and do it spot on? Hmmm, still  thinking. What about 13  straight
minutes of flourishes at 262  beats per minute? Hey, you  got ME by the
halo. Now then, what  about the ability to change  the flourishes and
come up with a  mind boggling number of  variations, so as to never
bore the  listener. I'm stumped to  answer.

Unlike most players who show you  everything they have in  their
'Tucker-Bag' in the first tune or  two, 'DA Man'  can
keep up an unrelenting barrage of so many different  calibre  guns,
it's like the battle of Midway. So here we are in  a  country that has
this annoying penchant for making everything   into a contest. I get
sick and tired of that. It's not that one   player is better or worse
than another. It's as simple as   'Everyone is just different'. But if
we MUST think from a   competitive level, then this man is definitely
MY   choice.

I got to spend two nights with him at a tiny oyster bar   named Bert's
in the scenic little swamp fishing village of   Matlache (phonetic..
Matt La Shay), and I gotta tell ya. MY life   will never be the same. I
even tried to adopt him.

So,   who IS this marvel (who wears no mask, no sun glasses, no funny
hat(s), uses no gimmicks)?

Winner..FOR the title...By Knock   out... 2 min 55 sec of the second
round...............Jason   Ricci

your humble scribe....smokey joe"

So...It's whatever floats your boat musically, Riccardo.  No one is or
should be expecting everyone to play 'scaryfast'.  The  musicians who play fast do
so because it suits them. And some are  absolutely brilliant at it. It's
actually just that simple.

Elizabeth

"Message: 4