Re: [Harp-L] Re: scary fast harmonica

I notice a lack of tone in a lot of fast playing. I like to play fast but tone is most important. Whats the use of playing fast with bad tone.
Don't get me wrong. There are some players who play god awful fast with good tone ( eg. Jason, Rosco, Mike Stevens ) these are the people I try to learn from.
buzz...................

Bill Otten wrote:
Here's a video of scary fast harmonica playing, I'd have to agree with the
comments made regarding "why do I have to play so fast", and "all it proves
is that you've practiced "learning to play scary fast". Here's the clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONNaVbNve4w and if you're impressed with it,
then fine. And if you're the person on the video and you're on this list, no
personal attack intended, it's just personally, it isn't my style. A few
notes with real feeling go further than playing all the notes with none.
Getting back to my list of Thelonius Monk-ism's :

1)Stop playing all those bullshit notes.

2)Don't play everything, let some things go by.

3)Some music is just imagined.

4)What you don't play can be more important than what you do play.

5)A note can be as small as a pin or as big as the world, it depends on your
imagination.

6)Always leave them wanting more.

There was a player from a band called Blues Traveller who shall go unnamed
here in order to avoid resurrecting THAT old argument, but I think that
player was responsible for this speed nonsense. 'Nuff said about that.

bill otten