[Harp-L] Shimmer

Just in from a show in Brooklyn and we (BoneDog) did one of my favorites: "Temptation" (Written and performed by Tom Waits and relatively popularized by Dianna Krall) that I kind of shimmer through on my instrument. Our vocalist sings with her voice and I sing with my harp....... After all the comparing I do with other musicians that grounds me in the relative poverty of my talent a song comes along (In this case: Temptation) that makes everything other than the music I'm playing irrelevant. To me the harp is an extremely vocal instrument: growling and shimmering and dipping and soaring just like a mellifluous or angry or sexy vocalist! So what is this "shimmering"? It's a metaphor for hmm: weaving in and out of a vocalists way, light volume with deep meaning, nuance, almost like something sheer that defers to the breeze but in this case the breeze is music. I guess for me it's a kind of sexy "in the pocket" groove. I just call the groove shimmer because in the aforementioned example: "Temptation" the song was sexy. It is also a bit autistic for me because in those moments there is a suspension of duality between me and the music. And the audience hears it too. They, or some of them, become engaged........All my best. d http://www.myspace.com/blowintheblues